'The Steed' - 17,000Lb 4x4 Winch
Why are Sherpa winches different to the competition?
- Tried and Tested - Sherpa 4x4 winches have been designed and built with many years experience in the winching and lifting business. These winches have been through many stages of testing and improvements to deliver a product Sherpa 4x4 is proud to offer to our customers. They have been witnessed to perform under water in the muddiest rain forests on the planet recovering ladened trucks to safety. Sealed to water and mud ingress they perform reliably in the toughest outback conditions.
- Tough & Durable - The Steed winch is designed to survive in all conditions, with 316 stainless steel fittings, this winch will stand up to all environments. Sherpa winches boast a IP68 rating meaning they are suitable for dusty and wet environments with quality o-rings and seals.
- Braking Design - Beware of cheap imitations! Many winches on the market use a ‘Brake in drum’ design which causes heat to build up in the winch damaging synthetic rope. ‘Brake in Drum’ winches are not designed for synthetic rope, this will become obvious at the most inconvenient time. Sherpa 4x4 winches are compatible with all types of synthetic rope as the brake is designed into the gearbox. This innovative design results in a trouble and heat free winch and braking combination.
- Quality gearboxes - Other brands use sintered steel to make their gears. In this process heat and pressure is used to cast shapes from powdered steel. Sintered gears are no where near as strong as gears which are CNC cut from quality billet steel. Sherpa specify and demand the highest quality components for every step of the winch build meaning we can deliver stronger winches which last.
- Electrics - Sherpa 4x4 winches come standard with fully sealed, water tight, heavy duty, genuine Albright solenoids. The number one failure for winches is the solenoid so why use anything but the best. Sherpa only offer Albright solenoids across our complete range of winches because they work. Don't waste your time with imitations, demand the best. Sherpa winches are IP68 rated.
- Powerful- Sherpa 4x4 winches come with massive series wound motors featuring higher amounts of copper in the winding's then others. By specifying the best motors across all our winches as a standard component, you are ensured a more durable winch motor which can withstand the extreme conditions winching brings. The fully engineer designed frame and gearbox results in incredible winching power. Why settle for 9,000lb when more pulling power is available. When other winches are stalling, the Sherpa 4x4 units are still loading up.
- Simplicity - Sherpa 4x4 winches are supplied with the parts and materials making installation easy for the home mechanic. Made to fit the common winch bars (ARB, TJM, Toyota & Nissan factory bars to name a few) in Australia you'll be amazed how quickly it can be integrated into your set-up. The bolting pattern is the standard pattern used by almost all winches including Warn and Ironman. If unsure what winch will ft your bull bar please see our winch dimensions & diagrams on our website or contact a sales representative.
- Fair leads & Hawse - Depending on if you're after the synthetic rope or the steel cable a 4 roller fairlead or aluminium hawse will be supplied. An offset aluminium hawse can also be supplied on request.
- Warranty and Parts - Sherpa 4x4 offers a 5 Year warranty on 17,000lb winches. An economical range of spares can be supplied to get you out of trouble if ever required.
Genuine Albright Solenoids
All Sherpa 4x4 winches come with genuine Albright solenoids! Incorporated into our electrics is a custom made version of the DC88P solenoid designed specifically by Albright International for the Sherpa 4x4 control boxes. With 70 years experienced in contactor design, these are by far the best winch solenoids available. Capable of handling up to 800 amps, almost twice the maximum capacity of the winch. Contact plating is second to none, increasing the duty cycle over other winches. As seen in our water submersion testing videos the Albright solenoids can be run for significant time under water without moisture ingress. The cheap Chinese solenoids used in the majority of winches will fail under extreme conditions and under high amperage load.
What is included in the Sherpa winch kits:
Sherpa winches are supplied as a kit with all the items required for a standard winch installation. See the images here showing the parts included for synthetic rope and steel cable models.
|Synthetic Rope Models||Steel Cable Models|
-Winch (fitted with either synthetic rope or steel cable as per your choice)
-Aluminium hawse or roller fairlead (synthetic rope winches will have an aluminium hawse, steel cable winches will come with a roller fairlead)
-Control box with internal Albright solenoid
-Wired hand remote (wireless remotes are an optional extra)
-All cabling (5 cables are already incorporated into the control box, a separate earth cable is provided)
-Winch hook with strap
-Winch and control box mounting bolts
-Control box mounting brackets (In most cases the control box is flush mounted to the bulbar using bolts internal to the control box housing and DOES NOT require a bracket. See the winch manual on the Sherpa Data Sheets page for instructions on mounting. The brackets included allow you to mount the control box directly on top of the winch by attaching to the winch cross members).
Sherpa 4x4 Winch Range
Install Wiring How To:
Winch Gearbox Rotation:
Salt Water Submersion Test:
|Rated Line Pull||17,000lb (7,700kg)|
|Motor||6.6hp series wound (12V or 24V options)|
|Gear reduction ratio||246:1 3 stage planetary gearbox|
|Cable / Rope||
0.4" (10.0mm) synthetic rope rated to 23,760Lb
0.4" (10mm) steel cable
|Mounting Bolt Diameter||0.44" (11.2mm)|
|Drum Size (Dia x Length)||2.52" x 8.82" (64mm x 224mm)|
|Mounting Bolt Pattern||
10" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)
This is the industry standard bolt pattern and the same as Warn winches use.
|Weight||Winch Weight Table|
|Clutch||180 degree turn, free spooling, slide ring gear|
|Brake||Automatic in gearbox|
|Solenoid||Albright International Heavy Duty 800 amp|
|Fair Lead / Hawse||Cable (4 way roller fair lead) | Rope (polished aluminium hawse)|
|Battery Leads||6ft (1.8m) long|
|Hand Remote Lead||11.5ft (3.5m) long|
|Certification||CE - designed to meet European standards|
|Water Ingress Rating||IP68 Rated|
12V Winch Performance Data
Line Pull (Lb)
Line Speed (ft/min)
Motor Current (A)
24V Winch Performance Data
Line Pull (Lb)
Line Speed (ft/min)
Motor Current (A)
I'm glad I got myself a nice beefy winch. Hope I don't have to use it. Installation is a bit tricky as I had to get extra spacers to fit the steed in the ARB bumper but worthwhile time investment and investigation to set it up right. I practiced winching the other day and this baby is more than enough to pull my Landcruiser. Pulling power per dollar, the Steed beats out more reputable winches. I opted for Sherpa as it is a well-know name that is competing in the USA. I hope this works out. We need more winch choices. One of my clubmates paid more for a less capable red-lettered winch. If you're reading this and on the fence, get one. The yellow color is a bonus!
Super powerful and hasnt failed me. Great Aussie winch.
Lighter, stronger and more powerful than my old winch.
Fitting it was easy. This winch is very powerful and looks great on the truck..
Everything about this recovery winch is great.. Its tough, strong and